The State Talent Development Program aims to develop identified talented NSW boys and girls that have the potential and aspiration to be highly ranked state and national players and future members of State and National teams and High Performance Programs.
The Jack Newton Junior Golf Boys and Girl’s State Talent Development Program was established in 2012 with the aim of identifying and developing players that have the potential to be elite amateur players at a national and international level in the future.
Aim of the Program
To identify as early as possible junior players (u/18) that have potential to excel at a higher level of competition and to nurture and support these players through the provision of appropriate training and resources.
Objectives of the Program
- To develop the person not only the golfer
- Commence the education and process of long term athlete development (LTAD)
- Educate players on the requisites of being an Elite Amateur player and potential successful touring professional
- Educate players on the High Performance Player Development and Competition Pathway within NSW and Australia
- Provision of the most appropriate environments to accelerate their learning and performance
- Support players home based coaching and training programs
- Provide access to the Golf NSW/JNJG High Performance Team (i.e. State Coach, Physiotherapist, Strength and Conditioning Coach, Psychologist)
- Provide access to Golf NSW/JNJG technologies (e.g. Trackman, Puttlab, Dartfish, Shots to Hole online statistics program)
- Develop players for NSW Interstate Junior Teams
- Closely monitor the progress of the states most talented juniors
Application into the program is via completion of a nomination form.
Criteria for nominating:
- Be an Australian Citizen
- Attending Secondary School
- A member of Golf NSW affiliated club
- Be age eligible for selection into the following year's NSW Junior Interstate Teams
The Boys and Girls Squad will be selected from received nominations by a panel of selectors convened by JNJG.
Subjectivity is an important element of selection into this program. Each athlete will be considered against criteria below:
- Handicap guide: 9 or below (Girls), 5 or below (Boys)
- Motivated and commited to improving all aspects of themselves on and off the golf course
- Demonstrated desire to develop their golfing abilities through regular practice, training, coaching and tournament participation
- Demonstrates attitudes and behaviours that will help raise the standard of the Talent Development Program
- Would be seen as a good representative of JNJG, Golf NSW, and the sport of golf
The program generally runs from June till December.
The program is a combination of compulsory training camps, fitness assessments, nominated competitions and completion of development activities as directed by program staff or service providers.
$400 GST Included
- Three weekend squad training camps at Riverside Oaks Golf Course (includes meals, accommodation, golf). Please note - It is the squad member’s responsibility to get to and from Riverside Oaks Golf Course for the training camps
- Two Fitness Assessments with JNJG Athletic Development Partner Precision Athletica
- Individualised home training physical development program from Precision Athletica
- Individual Golf Mentals Skills Assessment with Sport Psychology Partner
- Individualised golf mental skills home training program from Sport Psychology Partner
- 12 Month subscription to online stats program – ShotstoHole
- ShotstoHole stats report at the conclusion of the program
- Squad Uniform
- Access to JNJG Development Squad Program Staff
- Access to JNJG technologies such as Trackman and Puttlab
- Potential opportunity to be selected to compete in Interstate and International tournaments.
2017 Nomination Form
Click here for the 2017 Nomination Form. The completed form must be returned by April 28th.
Please contact JNJG Player Development Manager - Khan Pullen if you have any questions.